There are several essential army bases in Alabama. These include:
- Fort Rucker: Located near Enterprise, this base is the primary flight training base for Army Aviation and home to the United States Army Aviation Center of Excellence.
- Redstone Arsenal: This is a significant U.S. Army post near Huntsville that hosts various government organizations responsible for developing missile defense systems.
- Anniston Army Depot: Positioned in Bynum, it’s one of only a few facilities capable of performing maintenance on heavy-tracked combat vehicles.
- Maxwell Air Force Base & Gunter Annex (Montgomery): Though primarily an Air Force installation, Maxwell-Gunter supports numerous central units, including many related to education and doctrine development within the military community, as well as being host to Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) programs from all branches including the army.
- Fort McClellan (Closed): Once positioned outside Anniston until its closure in 1999 following BRAC commission action, it is now part of a joint civilian-military use area but maintains certain specialized training functions through reserve component groups.
Each base has unique roles and responsibilities that contribute significantly to our national security interests and provide invaluable support services for those serving at these locations and across multiple operational theaters worldwide.